Intellectual Property Resources
Intellectual property information is freely available on the internet. The following links may help you assess your intellectual property needs:
Search U.S. Patent and Trademark Office resources:
- Search existing U.S. patents and published applications
- Search existing U.S. trademarks and pending applications
- Check the status of existing U.S. trademarks and pending applications
- Search acceptable identification of goods and services for trademarks
- Search proceedings at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
Search foreign patent and trademark websites:
- Search for patents and published patent applications in the European Patent Office (EPO), World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Japanese Patent Office, and other available worldwide databases
- Search for patents and published applications in the national offices of European Patent Office member countries
- Search for existing trademarks and pending applications in the European Community
- Search for patents and published applications in the Canadian Patent Office
- Search for trademarks and pending applications in the Canadian Patent Office
Other foreign patent and trademark resources:
- World Government Intellectual Property Offices
- World Intellectual Property Organization
- German Patent and Trademark Office (In German)
- United Kingdom Patent and Trademark Office
- Australian Patent and Trademark Office
- French Patent and Trademark Office (In French)
- Indian Patent and Trademark Office
- Japanese Patent Office
Additon, Higgins & Pendleton, P.A. encourages inventors, authors, and artists who are unaffiliated with corporations or universities to learn about intellectual property so that they may make informed decisions about retaining legal counsel. The following links to outside web sites may be helpful in this regard.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What are patents, trademarks, and copyrights?
- Do I need a patent, trademark, and/or copyright?
- How do I search for patents and trademarks?
- What is a patent (and basic facts)?
- What can and cannot be patented?
- How do I get a patent?
- How do I finance and/or market my invention?
- What are some other frequently asked questions regarding patents?
- What is a trademark (and basic facts)?
- What are some other frequently asked questions regarding trademarks?
- What is a copyright (and basic facts)?
- What else should I know about copyrights?
- General information regarding patents (overview)
- General information regarding trademarks (overview)
- Kinds of patents
- Inventors’ Network of the Carolinas
- Inventors’ Digest
- Crash Course in Copyright
- U.S. Department of Justice (protecting intellectual property rights)
- FindLaw (Intellectual Property)